Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Tips...well you all might not agree but it works for us!!

Wow again it has been awhile, and again I will apologize, but things have been pretty busy.  For starters I went back to work part time last week, and let me tell you that was hard but it felt good to be out around adults!  I was quite amazed how easily everything about working on the floor as an RN came back to me; but, I won't lie it was VERY difficult leaving Reese, but she was always in good hands.  I really applaud the mothers that work during the day, whether everyday or just a few days, because it was soooo hard. For me in a couple of weeks, I will be on my night shift routine and I won't have to leave her during the day!!

I was thinking about what to write about in this post, and I felt like I needed to write something honest without feeling bad for decisions that Tyler and I have made as parents.  Being a parent, especially a new parent is very difficult at times.  Getting adjusted to caring for a baby 24/7, not being able to just go out when you want, dealing with the advice and criticisms of others, and learning what works best for your new little family!  Now let me preface this before I go any further that this is simply my opinion, I am not judging nor saying my way is the best way, nor am I trying to get people to agree with me, but just voicing some frustration and what Tyler and I have found to work very well for us and for Reese.

When I was pregnant I think the biggest question and the thing that people really forced their own opinions on me was "Are you going to Breastfeed?"  "You better breastfeed!"  "Even if you don't want to, you need to at least try."  WOW!!  Talk about overload!  This question made me very comfortable because depending on the answer I would give, I would either get a look of total bewilderment, a look of disgust or confusion, or sometimes my answer would be accepted with such grace.  This subject was the one thing that women feel they can put their opinion and judgement on you, that is just what I found in my experience.  I mean it is my decision, right?!?

 I am a nurse, and by just being a woman, I am VERY much aware of the benefits of breastfeeding.  It helps build immunity, it is ALL-Natural coming straight from the tap!!  I have also heard that your baby will be smarter if you breastfeed (which I am living proof that bottle fed babies can also be just as smart because I was a straight A student), and so forth.  But for me from the get go I did not want to breastfeed!  Gasp!!!!  So the next question I'm sure is "why?"

Well for one I wanted to have my husband and the rest of our family and friends be able to feed Reese.  So why not just pump?  Well, I also wanted my body back completely.  I had shared it for 9.5 months with Reese, and I loved that but I was ready to have all of me back!  Might sound selfish, but by choosing to bottle feed doesn't put my child at risk.  It actually made the adjustment for Tyler and I quite easy.  We got Reese on a Q 3-4 hour schedule quite easily, and I didn't feel so overwhelmed. It has worked so well for us, and for our future children, they will also be bottled fed.

I think the reason I felt that I needed to write a blog about this is because as new mothers we need support not criticism or judgement of how we do things differently.  Regardless if you breastfeed and I bottle feed we all need support.  Believe me, I have friends that have breastfed and are breastfeeding that go through things that I just feel for.  It sounds so difficult.  My advice is not to put pressure on you, but to encourage you whether you choose to stop or keep going.  It is okay to supplement!  Formula will not harm your baby!  I have perfect proof sitting in her Bumbo right in front me!  She is happy, healthy and well fed.   I am also writing this to those mothers that are bottle feeding!  You aren't doing a disservice to your baby and you aren't harming your baby!  You are doing what works for you and your family! 

We all need to love each other and support one another!


No comments:

Post a Comment