Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Homemaking: The Start of Becoming a Freezer Mom

So since I am now a SAHM, I have felt the need to be more of a "Homemaker"  Now I am not saying I'm going to start churning my own butter (well maybe I'll attempt it on a cold rainy day =) ) but the idea of becoming more and more savy with how I spend money, how I cook, and how I find use out of seemingly looking junk is now at the forefront of my mind (Thank you Pinterest)!! 

Since we have been home from the hospital, many kind friends and strangers have brought over incredible meals; which many we have had the option to freeze, so we don't become overwhelmed with an enormous amount of leftovers.  This got me thinking...so I took to the internet to see what I could find about freezing foods to help not only budget our groceries every month but to help keep the stress low when trying to prepare a nice dinner with an infant.  The biggest website/blog that I found to be the most useful was this: http://moneysavingmom.com/2010/02/how-to-plan-bulk-cooking.html.

So with my most recent grocery shopping trip I planned a few meals that I would be able to divide into a few meals, spaced out throughout the month, and that could be frozen.  Today I did my first round of freezer cooking. I decided to making Taco Filling because Tyler and I love Mexican, and we love to have Taco Nights.  Here is the recipe I used to season my beef, and it is so tasty. http://www.marthastewart.com/340593/taco-filling.  I am sure you could use just the taco seasoning packets if you wanted to cut back on time, but I, personally, like to season things with fresh ingredients. This recipe is very tasty, I just omitted the jalapeno because I'm not a huge fan, and I don't like things super spicy. 

I will continue to share the meals and recipes of what I choose to freeze and what we choose to eat right away.  I am also trying to figure out this whole extreme couponing craze, and I really haven't saved a whole bunch, but I'm starting slow; but if any of you readers have any suggestions or tips, I would love to hear them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment