Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Father's Love

I came across this quote today:

"The greatest thing a father can do for his daughter is to love her mother"-Elaine S. Dalton

Coming from a family of primarily females and now being a mother of precious little girl it struck me just how true this quote is.  In a society where women can easily be seen as objects, it is so important that as parents of little girls we start young; and the best way for us to teach them self-confidence and self-worth is to show them through the relationship that you have with your spouse. 

Over the years, I have heard men make comments to their wives/girlfriends and even daughters about not their person and who they are, but what they physically offer the world to the eye.  Comments like "She has a sexy legs" "She has the best body" "She has a nice set of breasts" are all fine in the privacy and intimate setting of the bedroom, but to make such comments out for the public to hear or in front a little girl can give that little girl the impression that in order to get a man's attention she needs show off those things that he fines gratifying. 

In my own personal experience, my dad always showed the utmost respect to my mom, my sister and I.  Making sure that when we looked nice, he would say things like "You look very pretty in that" or "That's a nice color on you" or "You look very beautiful."  Hearing that come from a man that I respect more than any other, and also hearing words of respect come from his mouth directed at my mom really gave me positive confidence and respect for myself.  Seeing his love for my mom reflected in kind, uplifting and respectful ways is something that I pray Tyler and I show Reese.

Now looking at my husband and our little girl together, I pray that we can emulate that type of love so that she grows up strong, confident, and with great respect for herself.  It is by the respect and love that we show one another is how she will learn what Christ-like love is all about, and show her how a man should treat a woman.  Not by words that bring to light a woman's insecurities, but by words that build her up to be the woman that Christ wants her to be.


1 comment:

  1. Mallory, Reese is blessed to have a mom who already realizes that her identity needs to be in Christ and who He has created her to be. I am sure you and Tyler will model that well as you love each other and raise her to love the Lord.
    I enjoyed reading your post.
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete