Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ok: I got pregnant, gained weight, had a baby, and NOW I have to lose weight!! Can't I get a Break here!!


We, as women, all feel it for every angle of our superficial society, we get it from our peers, coworkers, friends and even sometimes family.  We need to be thin, we need to have the flat stomach, we need the flawless skin, we need, we need, we need.  Now add to all those needs and what having a baby does to your body.  Now I won't lie, I personally did not get stretch marks nor did I look like I had gained a significant amount of weight; however, I did gain weight.

When I got married, which was almost 3 years ago, I weighed in at 128 pounds, when I found out I was pregnant I weighed close to 140, and at 9+ months pregnant I weighed in at 171 pounds. Now onto a small tangent, it's very liberating to tell all of you that read this what I have weighed in at over the last 3 years.  Talking about ones weight in our society seems to be one of those things that one NEVER discusses.  However, I told you all that I would be honest, and if anyone has any judgements, who really cares. Okay now back to my focus...About a week after coming home from the hospital, I jumped on the ooo should I say it...SCALE...and to my astonishment it said 148.  So I went from 171 to 148, not too bad, but I need to get my body back, I mean that's what we are all told, right?  Questions and statements that I have received from people after they kiss all over Reese is: "You look great! So what are you doing to get back in shape?  Did she give you stretch marks?  Are you breastfeeding because that helps take off the weight quicker?"  When I step back and ponder these statements and questions it amazes me how the focus is completely on your physical image once you have the baby, and I won't lie that was at the forefront of my mind once I had her...I need to get back into those cute Buckle Jeans!!  It's no wonder that many moms are rushing to the plastic surgeon for the "Mommy Makeover!"  Our society is saturated with image! 


Okay so you are probably wondering what the point of this post is about, well it's a preface to future blog posts about my journey back to feeling confident and good in my own skin.  Whether that be at 140 pounds or 120 pounds.  Blog posts to come on this topic will be about my ups and downs with getting back in shape and feeling good about myself, not so much as getting that svelte tight body that looks good in a bikini! Knowing myself, I will have struggles because my downfall is cookie dough, ice cream, and french fries =).  But I think that by sharing a bit of this journey in my life it will help keep myself accountable. 

Taken from Proverbs 31:
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

1 comment:

  1. Love the honesty Mal! Can't wait to hear all about it :-) I may smack some of those people who go right to body questions. I mean come on! You JUST had a baby! Who cares what your body looks like right now! No one should have this on their mind other than you. You got it girl :-)

    ReplyDelete